Thursday, January 28, 2010

Colors of the Rainbow: Could We See More Schools Changing the Colors of Their Fields?



Good afternoon world, this is The Iceman back with more Ice Cold Sports on the Radio Blog Network. An interesting story caught my eye today while I was digging through the internet looking for something to blab about when I came across the story of what the University of Eastern Washington has instore for the next football season. Above you see what we come to know as "the smurf field" at Boise Stateand whether you like it or not, it still draws much attention to the school.

With a mega load of private funding the Eagles of Eastern Washington plan to install a red colored field turf in time for the 2010 season. The school is hoping that the new red field will draw them as much attention and notoriety that Boise State has gotten. The school's AD said that "we have a tremendous opportunity at Eastern to do the same by differentiating ourselves with the red turf while providing a superior playing surface."



Now Eastern Washington isn't the only school looking to add some color to the field. Students and fans of James Madison University are trying to convince school officials to install a purple turf. That's right, a purple turf.



Now I don't know if it's because I have good taste or the fact that I attended the great Appalachian State for my reasons of thinking that looks incredibly awful. Maybe it's a little of both, but I'm sure nine out of ten people would think that is just awful.

But what if other schools began replacing the green grass with colored turf? What if year in and year out relevant, schools packed with tradition, glory, and history decided to go this route?



Could you imagine a Maze colored field in the big house? What about a maroon colored field at the coliseum in Los Angeles? Is it possible to see Ohio State, LSU, Alabama, and Notre Dame playing under the colors of their respected school.

I for one hope this will not be the case. All these colored turfs do is add a gimmick to the product. Come see the blue field, come see the red field. If you get too many schools doing it, it kinda loses it's touch. Plus you gotta think if enough schools start doing it that the NCAA would try to put a stop to it. I don't want to turn my tv on and watch Michigan at Ohio State on a red and grey field. All I need is the atmosphere and the ambiance. I can't and won't even consider to support my App State Mountaineers playing on a black or gold field. I can only hope that not too many schools will follow suit in this. Especially ones who don't need it. For Ice Cold Sports, I'm The Iceman and your logged on to the Radio Blog Network.

No comments:

Post a Comment