Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Hardest Thing For A Superstar To Do Is To Shake The Hand of The Better Man



Remember a few days ago? I was going on and on about the life lessons we learn while playing youth sports before they became corrupted with winning and professional careers. Sportsmanship and respect are two values I am very big on. No matter what happens, what bad blood there is, regardless of the final score the game is I and I'm sure most people are going to walk up to the competition and do the handshake.

Now I guarentee you that Peyton Manning shook Drew Brees hand at every other possible time. Media day, press conferences, pregame activities, and the coin toss. So whats changed? Is it a sense of smugness? Does Peyton think he's better than Drew? No not quite. I will give Peyton the benefit that he later called Brees that night. But if he simply just walked up after losing the game and shook his hand. I would not be sitting here right now talking to you about this subject and there wouldn't have been hundreds of other bloggers ripping him either.



Peyton Manning however is not the only "face of the game" to cold shoulder the better opponent and shake hands. Yes "King" LeBron I'm talking about you. When the Cavs were ousted by the Magic in the east finals last season he wasted no time getting off that court. The rest of his teammates shook hands and congratulated. Why can't he? Is he above the rest of us? Has this "king" persona gotten the best of him? The same can be said about Peyton Manning. You saw plenty of other Colts players and staff congratulating and shaking hands in the public eye. But all the superstar, the face of the sport did was walk off.

Now its no secret that I am not a fan of Peyton Manning. There are other reasons why I don't. Some you may find acceptable, some you may not. But look back to the regular season matchup with the Jets. You know..the game they tanked and gave up on which took away the perfect season. Did you ever see Manning talking or teaching or even looking at rookie backup Curtis Painter after he made a mistake? I sure didn't. I seen plenty of other veteran quarterbacks do what Manning should've done with Painter but in the end he didn't.



The handshake is the ultimate sign of respect a man can give another man. In a world where all men are created equal, it seems that some men don't feel like they need to show that respect when it should be given out the most. Next time you see me I would be glad to shake hands as a sign of that mutual respect. Maybe I'll drive to New Orleans and shake Drew Brees hand for Manning myself. Your inside Ice Cold Sports part of the Radio Blog Network. See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment